Sunday, March 9, 2008
How ArtSmart are you?
Hello everyone!
Geralyn and I would like to invite you to share with us and all our readers the impact that fines arts has made on your life. If dance or music is an integral part of your social life, we'd like to hear about it. If visual art or drama is a passion of yours, we'd like you to share that with us. If you are involved in an area of fine arts that is not only a passion but a career, please share that with us! I am a music educator in a middle school in Fayetteville, Ga. and have been lucky enough to see how fine arts can give some people a purpose and direction or even a better focus in life. I am also a church musician and have witnessed and experienced the spiritual nature of music, visual art, drama and yes, even dance.
There are those who claim that the study of music in our schools actually increase a students' intelligence - demonstrated by higher SAT scores. We'd like to investigate that claim a little further. I've also heard parents say that a music or drama group, such as band, orchestra, chorus or drama club helped their child feel part of something larger than themselves. Do you have a story like that? We'd love to hear it if you do.
Is there a particular venue you'd like to share with us? Do you frequent the Fox Theatre?
Do you go to organ recitals? Piano recitals? Do you play in a garage band? Tell us about it. And if you can relate to us how this fills a need in your life - go for it!
We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you visiting our blog. Geralyn and I will share more of our own personal experiences with you as we get this new blog off the ground and into cyberspace!
Geralyn and I would like to invite you to share with us and all our readers the impact that fines arts has made on your life. If dance or music is an integral part of your social life, we'd like to hear about it. If visual art or drama is a passion of yours, we'd like you to share that with us. If you are involved in an area of fine arts that is not only a passion but a career, please share that with us! I am a music educator in a middle school in Fayetteville, Ga. and have been lucky enough to see how fine arts can give some people a purpose and direction or even a better focus in life. I am also a church musician and have witnessed and experienced the spiritual nature of music, visual art, drama and yes, even dance.
There are those who claim that the study of music in our schools actually increase a students' intelligence - demonstrated by higher SAT scores. We'd like to investigate that claim a little further. I've also heard parents say that a music or drama group, such as band, orchestra, chorus or drama club helped their child feel part of something larger than themselves. Do you have a story like that? We'd love to hear it if you do.
Is there a particular venue you'd like to share with us? Do you frequent the Fox Theatre?
Do you go to organ recitals? Piano recitals? Do you play in a garage band? Tell us about it. And if you can relate to us how this fills a need in your life - go for it!
We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate you visiting our blog. Geralyn and I will share more of our own personal experiences with you as we get this new blog off the ground and into cyberspace!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am currently a RISE student at a local elementary school which means for one class period every day I sit in/help out an elementary school class. However, one day my class was taking their 5th grade writing test and my teacher took me to another classroom so I could have something to do and see another teaching style. I was sent to a third grade class where the teacher teaches with hands-on learning and songs. They performed their little songs and dances for me (which was very cute!). The songs were about things like double consonants and changing -y to -i and add -es, simple things that a third grader really needs to know. Well, they will NEVER forget any of those rules. A little music with their schoolwork changed so much. And, no offense to my fifth graders, but I'm almost positive one of those third graders could definitley out-smart my whole fifth grade class!
This is so great and a beautiful example of how the arts, specifically music, enhances education. I can still remember some songs I learned as a child, but certainly don't remember much else! It's interesting how the brain works and is affected by the arts. Watch for future postings on this very thing!
In college, I took an Art Appreciation class that opened my eyes to famous artists and different movements. I wish I had the opportunity to learn more about Art.
Post a Comment