Our purpose is to help you believe in the Arts as an important function of education. Our goal is to show that the Arts are not an entity in themselves but have a major contribution in the value of education, not only in the classroom, but in the world around us. Our objective is to show the Arts are not just entertainment, but have a purpose in formal education and play a major role in society.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A little history...

I got an interesting comment from one of our guest bloggers giving us a little history lesson in visual arts. Check out the comment from Geri to see what she has to say about Karl Bodmer and then check the links to see a full history lesson on how these works of art came to be and samples of his work. It is very interesting how important art has been to our learning experiences!

2 comments:

Geri Scheitlin said...

How many people reading this know that the so-called "War Paint" worn by the Indians, was not just war paint? It all had a meaning. It told a told a tale of his life - a biograqphy.
Here are just a few:
A Yellow Hand indicated that the warrior has captured prisoners.
Barred stripes indicated other warlike deeds.
Wood sticks in the warrior's headdress indicated how many times he had been wounded in battle.
A split feather in his headdress showed that he had been shot by an arrow.
If he had a Wooden Knife, he took it in a struggle with and from a Cheyenne Warrior.
Do you think that his enemies were affected by his warpaint?

Geralyn Chabucos said...

That is so cool that war paint actualy had meaning! I think I have heard that before, but have long since forgotten. I'm sure that if I were his enemy I would not be taking the time to check out his warpaint...I would be running the other way. It was probably just to impress the women...and maybe to receive notariety in his tribe?!?!